Friday, April 13, 2007

Speed and Speedability

Sometimes you do things that you know have a hefty combination of risks yet none of these, either singular, or in a nasty group of thugs will make you change course. Sometimes, you stare down those risks, puff out your chest and say to yourself "make my day, punk!" Or maybe you don't, but for the point if this story pretend you do.

My pilgramage to the Mecca of motorcycling comes in under that catagory. Though, if I'm truthful, my risk list was pretty short. The four main things that concerned me were losing my license and a sizeable amount of cash, crashing at speed and being killed and even worse, crashing at speed and having to live in a chair for the term of my natural life. Finally, dare I mention it, being found out as a talentless hack with no skill and the pace of an athritic donkey.

I had a long time to ponder my risk list as the Haj to my Holylands was many months in the planning. There was little for me to do in that regard as our Saint Elle, The Supremely Organised sorted the travel, accomodation and festivities with a military-like precision that made the only hard part coughing up the money to go.

Little did I know my stressing was in vain. Other than a small whoopsee when I decided to blaze a trail through a gravel run off and coax the bike behind me to follow, nothing went wrong that beer couldn't make better. Speaking of beer, I love the Cascade brewery and all the happy pixies that make it's glorious product. The free tasting was a good starter to a huge night at the infamous Joe's Garage. I'm not sure yet if I'll post pics of that night - I incriminate myself altogether too much.

The preceeding days were one serious attempt to cover every twisty road in the state. I can safely say that if it was worth riding we road it. North to south through the middle then across to Strahan on the west coast and down to Hobart. few days drinking and sitting in a spa followed by the finale (i can't add the correct thingys on the letters) - riding from Hobart and up the east coast which puts the Great Ocean Road to shame and then over some excellent mountain roads before striking out for Devonport and the night boat home (via my Mum's place and some pizza, God bless her!).

I may expand this post here and there but it's been so long since I posted it was time to get something out.

Catch you later....

No comments: